Settling in to Stanton

It’s been a few weeks now since we moved and we’re getting slowly settled in to our new home; we had the whole house painted to colors chosen by our interior designer, and quite a lot of new furniture arrived – especially for the “great room”, our main living area. Here’s that room with the new Stressless chairs and the spectacular green glass topped Island Fusion Hermes Reef table, and also our kitchen since it’s all part of the same huge space!

Also in that area is Margaret’s work desk (and she’s planning to get a filing cabinet to match).

We have four bedrooms in our new home, down from six at Independence; our master bedroom now has it’s designed colors with the new bedding – and of course there’s my favorite and spectacular shower in the ensuite:

The second bedroom has it’s ensuite walk-in shower, while bedrooms three and four share another bathroom – all downstairs of course.

Also downstairs is a “flex room” where we will be installing a projection TV / sound system for watching movies. With the home basically designed on a single level, the attractive stairs lead only to my office – although that space is also huge so I’ve split part of it into another movie / music / seating area …

Outside is not much changed from when we moved in, although Dixie Pools have now completed the pool install. There’s more to do out there (maybe just better outdoor furniture) but finishing the interior comes first!

 

UPDATE: Robert asked for more pictures of the table:

Moving Day!

Over the last couple of weeks, Margaret has been packing our “old” home (Independence) and this past weekend we rented a U-Haul truck to move the more breakable items from my office (test equipment, computers) as well as other fragile things. But today was the “big move” with a company arriving to take everything to our new home (Stanton Estates) …

It took two trips and 7 hours in total, with much more time for Margaret & I to start unpacking and putting things away so our new home is a little less chaotic than it was when everything arrived!

But tonight, we’ve got our bedroom sorted, somewhere to sit and eat, and my office is ready enough that I’ll be back to work in the morning … beyond that, we’ve got a lot more to do in the next few weeks!

IMG_6821IMG_6830IMG_6831IMG_6832

We now own two homes!

Closing at Stanton Estates did not happen yesterday – the problems found by our inspection were too many – but with the biggest issues now resolved, and three people working on the home still, we were finally ready to close this morning. Various papers reviewed and signed, lots of money moving from one bank to another, and handing over of the keys … our new home is now ours!

Stanton Estates is now ours

Our current home has an offer from enthusiastic buyers currently renting, so in a month or so we should be back to owning just one house again …

UPDATE: With less cold weather, we’ve now opened our new tree in the front:

IMG_6764IMG_6765

Stanton pre-closing inspection

With closing supposed to be tomorrow, we had a final, professional, pre-closing inspection this morning – and a surprising number of issues were found, that we didn’t know about. Very worthwhile having this inspection!

Issues included broken roof tiles, missing eave / soffit pieces around the roof, non-working hot water, cracked tile grout, circuit breakers that don’t trip when tested, and even a vent fan that spews attic insulation (it’s supposed to be vented *through* the roof to outside but maybe it isn’t!). Other issues we already knew about, like a missing shower door, sunken pavers on the driveway, gaps on the stairway trim … To be fair to Jones Homes USA, the inspector did say that the home was basically well built with no major issues, so that’s good to hear!

For your “entertainment”, here’s some pictures that the inspector took:

 

 

Unsurprisingly, Jones Homes called to move closing to Friday – which is fine by us!

 

Stanton changes coming fast now!

The original crazily optimistic end-December closing date has flown by, and Jones Homes have a more realistic closing date next week – so meanwhile, loads of work is being done by loads of people (although the list of things that need fixing is getting longer, too!)

Outside, we’ve got a/c units, a screened pool/patio area, and garage door – as of our last visit power hadn’t been turned on, so we’ve not yet been able to test the heating / cooling, but at least it exists now. Upstairs the balcony has been tiled, and railings installed:

 

Indoors, most of the bathrooms have been tiled, including our master. Some of the fixtures are in too, though not all. The granite countertops are in too in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, although the island is still missing.

 

The hardwood flooring is down too, and the stair rails are installed and looking fabulous (the carpets were still missing as of this morning):

 

We do a pre-closing inspection on Friday, it’ll be interesting to see how long the “not done” list is then, and how well they do at sorting that list before closing in 9 days …